Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thoughts for the Day - Empathy is the Key to Human Connection





“You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.”
James Baldwin


“We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison  


“Self-absorption in all its forms kills empathy, let alone compassion. When we focus on ourselves, our world contracts as our problems and preoccupations loom large. But when we focus on others, our world expands. Our own problems drift to the periphery of the mind and so seem smaller, and we increase our capacity for connection - or compassionate action.”
Daniel Goleman, Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships  


 “I do not ask the wounded person how he feels, I myself become the wounded person.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself 


“No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care”
Theodore Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care, Dave.