Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How do you want to be perceived? A Smoker's Need for Compassion


Good Afternoon,

I was researching some data for something I wanted to write this morning when I came across this blog that I found saying some interesting things about people's perception of smokers.  I'm going to copy some of the content here, and then make some points after you've had a chance to read the postings.

Here's how it started:
Q: I have a roommate who is a militant chain-smoker. Despite promising not to smoke in the house when we moved in, since the Chicago winter set in, our house smells like a giant ashtray. I've asked him to at least smoke with a window open, but the smoke still seeps in under the doors and through the vents to the rest of the house. On the persuasion end, I don't think there is anything I can do until the weather warms up. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of cigarette smoke in your house?

These are the responses to his question:
Use a fairly damp bath towel. (Try putting it on the floor of the shower, turning on water for few seconds, then pulling it out. You don't want soaking wet, but it should be fairly damp overall.) Sprinkle vinegar on it. Whip the towel overhead and around the room; the damp, vinegary towel will soak up smoke where it has passed through the air.

Designating a smoking area in the house is like designating a peeing area in a pool. For the sake of your own health you really must insist on no smoking in the house.  Get rid of the roommate. All these methods of removing smells from a living space only really work if the source of the smell itself has been removed. Unless you're keen on scrubbing down all your walls and furniture every week and changing vinegar bowls every day, the smell will NEVER go away.

My Thoughts:

The one thing that no one in the post ever mentioned was trying to help this person try to stop smoking.  Obviously all the respondents gave advice on how to get rid of the smell or the smoker.  I thought it was a sad commentary on the perception held about smokers.  I don't see smoking as any worse than other unhealthy behaviors, but a horrible addiction that requires people to receive caring and effective interventions to stop.  The current statistics on the number of the smoking population who want to quit is about 70%.  Therefore, I wonder if anyone would have asked the roommate or suggested quitting would he have had made that step?

I would like to remind the smokers reading my post this morning that we at MINDWAYS are here to help and support you in transforming your life, and regaining your health.  Our eBook is available for Free currently at our website www.mindwayssolutions.com We wish you all the best in your journey to become a non-smoker.  Please contact us if we can answer any questions or be of assistance in any way.  Have a great day, and know we're on your side when you're ready to take that monumental life-changing step.  Take care.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care, Dave.