I have a few questions for you this morning:
- What do you want to achieve in life? big question I know
- How do you plan to achieve your goals or get to that desired destination?
The reason I ask is because I want to review Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, and how using some personal motivation that resides in each of us can help us achieve our goals and destiny.
The Pyramid of Needs
- Physiological Needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sleep, and intimacy
- Safety Needs - protection from the elements, security, order, law, limits, stability, freedom from fear
- Social Needs - belonging, affection and love - from co-workers, family, friends, and lovers
- Self Esteem Needs - achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, respect
- Self-Actualization - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experience.
What is the importance of the Pyramid in understanding how to reach our potential?
Maslow believed that when needs are unmet people are motivated to achieve those needs first, and then seek to fulfill the higher needs - (ex. - starving people will do anything to satisfy that basic need because if they don't they won't survive) I would hope that each of you reading this are meeting your basic needs, but this example creates a good focus for us and further justifies the thinking of Maslow. The pyramid is just that - A pathway of moving to a higher level of personal growth where we meet needs that either are central to our survival or will greatly enhance our human experience.
So where are you currently on this pyramid? Do you want to find out? Here's a quick quiz that will help:
Did you complete the quiz?
Does it seem like an accurate assessment of where you're currently in your life? If it is, but it's not where you want to be how are you going to change that starting today? I want to provide some help in the form of an article you can read that outlines a process for you to start moving up that pyramid toward the goal of self-actualization. Below is the link to the article. I will discuss the article and provide some practical strategies related to the article in my next blog post.
I hope this has been beneficial. Please let me know because my goal is to provide help to people in achieving their goals for personal development and health. Thank you for visiting, and have a wonderful day.