Saturday, November 22, 2014

5 Steps to Achieving What You Want in Life?




I think there is something very important in the title of this post.  The word achieve, which means it is up to us what happens in our lives.  I wanted to take some time to share 5 steps I use in my life to stay on track with making a difference.  I hope you find this valuable or you are already doing these things in your life.


Mission - Have a purpose
- Have you ever been on a sailboat or motorboat?  Now think of the cruise you were on, and what would have happened if these boats didn't have rudders?  It wouldn't have been too fun floating aimlessly out in the middle of nowhere with the challenge of getting back on course.

Each of us are unique individuals with special talents and likes.  Do you have a plan to merge those two things, so you can enjoy life by making a difference in your life and others?  If not, try to sit down and write a list - (create your mission) - It's time to attach that rudder to your life.


Take responsibility for your life
- Things will happen in life that none of us expect, but how we respond to these events can determine what we achieve.  No excuses - the Marine Corps taught me a great saying - "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome".  Be a problem solver.


Believe in Yourself -   A large part of achieving things in life is having the persistence and perseverance to continue on when no one is at your side.  The only way you can do this is to wholeheartedly believe in yourself and what you have to offer.  If you don't, then no one else will.    Start your day in the morning by exclaiming " I can, I can, I can".


Have the Mind of a winner - Creating the mindset of a winner is crucial to making it through life's hurdles.  How do you look at the world?  When I was a manager I always encouraged staff to think of the possibilities, and bring me new ideas that would improve our situation.  I knew any dud could point out the negative in a situation, but I wanted to inspire them to be innovative and imagine achieving the prize.  It sure made for a better work environment where people felt comfortable to share ideas and possibilities.  Make sure to take time for yourself each day to stay focused - at least 30 minutes at a minimum.


Create A Personal Pathway for Your Success -   How many games are won without a plan?  Zilch.   Setting goals is the key to being a champion in your life.  There needs to be a defined concerted effort to making your mission a reality.  Is it a new degree, a promotion, a personal relationship, or your health?  Whatever it is, you need to do the following to be certain you hit the mark:
  • Write down your goal, and keep it in a place where you can look at it each day (mirror)
  • Use the SMART method - specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time specific.
  • Set incremental goals - the first goal might be something that can be easily achieved, but then begin to stretch yourself making more challenging goals that keep your eyes on the prize of achieving your mission/purpose.
  • Keep track of your successes

Don't be afraid to fail - Just pick yourself up, and get back on the metaphorical horse.  Take some time to evaluate what went wrong.  It's not a failure, it's opportunity to ensure you succeed the next time. 

I wish great success for you in whatever you're trying to pursue and achieve.  Implementing these steps has been powerful for me in achieving important things in my life.  Take care.  
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care, Dave.