Thursday, June 23, 2016

Transitions - The turnstyle of life

 

Transitions - The turn style of life

I'm sure this image provides a familiar and often frustrating memory for many of us.  Whether it was hopping on a subway in some urban destination, trying to quickly get through it for the big game, or dragging our kids off to the state fair for some fun.  Each of us can relate to using a turn style as a means to get to our final destination.  The thing that I remember most about my experience with turn styles is the challenge I had getting through when I rushed the process or was impatient.  When I took my time I was easily able to get through and to where I was going.

I believe the transitions in our lives can be very similar to getting through the turn style.  When we understand that going through these brief barriers is just part of the journey, it can prevent us from getting stuck in life.  Here are three ways to successfully transition through the turn styles in our lives:

  •  Define the Why? - If you're facing a transition in your life whether it's a new job, a change in your health, a new relationship, or possibly some unplanned event, try to look for the why?  Some people may be thinking that's crazy especially for an unforeseen barrier, but why is it?  If we look at the history in our lives we each have travelled down various paths to get to our current destination.  Did those twists and turns teach you anything or did they give you new insights you didn't have previously?  Transitions are the gate way to changes in our lives, but to minimize the frustration and avoid getting stuck we need to first define the Why?
  • Enjoy the Moment - The turn style is also the mechanism that slows down progress.  Think about that big game or concert that you couldn't wait to see, but all of the sudden the line to a screeching halt.  What tends to be our first reaction?  I must admit for me that it can be frustrating, but is that helping the line to move quicker?  When I stop to realize that I'm still going to get in, then I have the freedom to mingle with the people around me or drink a beer while I wait.  When we're going through the transitions in life we need to enjoy every part of the journey.  We never know when we may meet that special person or be exposed to a priceless nugget of wisdom that could positively impact our life.
  • Believe in the future - Have you ever been asked the age old question, "Is the glass half full or half empty?"  I'm sure we've all encountered that question at some time in our lives.  What was that person asking trying to discern?  For me they were trying to determine my perspective on the situation, and wanted to see how I face the challenge.  Going through transitions in life are challenging for each of us, but how we respond can determine the experience.  That glass of milk, water, or even a shot of whiskey isn't really the focus of the question, but your mindset.  In a transition we must remind ourselves of why we're on the journey, stop and smell the roses along the way, and finally believe that it will eventually lead to greener pastures.
I hope you can get through the turn style in your life today, and enjoy the journey you're on to the next great experience in your life.

“You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.”
William Faulkner

“It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.”
Richard Evans

“I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.”
Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom: Autobiography of Nelson Mandela   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care, Dave.