Sunday, June 19, 2016

Lessons from Dad - A choice to make an impact

Today is Father's or Dad's Day.  A day when we get the chance to celebrate either the joy of being a child or being a Dad, but for many I understand it may be a day to be forgotten due to different circumstances.  I am grateful that in my situation I have memories of a man who was and is there for me, and I feel truly blessed for the impact he has made on my life.  Yesterday I stopped by the store on the way home for work to get a few groceries, and to my dismay there were very few things being sold to celebrate this special occasion.  This struck a core in me, and made me a bit sad at first.  Therefore, I started to think about my Dad, and the lessons he taught me about life that have helped form me into both the person and Father I am today.

These lessons started to invade my mind with images and words that vividly reminded me of how my Dad has impacted my life through his actions. Words that represent the example he showed day in and day out.

Dedicated - Growing up my Dad was busy at work, but always made time for his sons.  I remember waiting for him to get home because he'd always whistle as he entered the house.  This was the signal it was our opportunity to jump on Dad, or go out in the backyard and throw the ball.  He was always present with us when he came through that front door.  Even though he continued to advance in his career, he was dedicated to ensuring he was at the table each night showing us the importance of family and balance in life.  These actions were a result of my Dad's core beliefs and values.


Devoted - My Dad lives his life based on a set of beliefs that guide his actions.  He instilled in us that each of us is driven by a desire to connect with something greater than themselves.  My Dad's connection was his faith in Jesus Christ.  Today that seems to be a point of contention for some people, but why?  I believe it's because they may not have heard or been taught what I was taught.  Let your actions speak louder than your words.  I can't think of someone in my life who has been more devoted to letting their beliefs positively affect their own life, and choosing to use their actions to impact others lives with kindness and love. 

Decisions - Just as my Dad has made decisions about his faith, I also was taught that we have the capability to make choices each day.  Growing up my Dad tried to remind me on numerous occasions that we all have choices, and they come with consequences both good and bad.  Therefore, choose wisely.  Whether it's a decision about something you want to do or the way you choose to act, be thoughtful about your choices.

Display - Finally my Dad taught me about being real, and that men can also be real with their emotions.  I've seen this first hand throughout my life.  My Dad wouldn't hesitate to show us he loved us with affection, he also taught us how to respect women by treating my mom with love, or on the few occasions where I saw him break down as he cried about the loss of those he loved.  

There are so many lessons I've learned from My Dad over the years listening to him, but more importantly seeing him live honestly and with purpose.  On this special Father's Day I want to thank my Dad for being an amazing example, and hope to impact this world, other people, and most importantly my own precious child by living boldly with purpose and integrity.   Thanks Dad.  Happy Father's Day.  I love you.

Your Son


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care, Dave.